*****
I came to this book having no idea what to expect. I had
never heard of Johnson and I had not sought out this book, it was free from the
Queen of Teen awards. Yes I was there, little me, having nominated Joanna Nadin
(who obviously should have won) and I witnessed Johnson be crowned Queen. And
deservedly so. The Name of the Star
left me speechless and begging for more.
Rory is a Louisiana teenager who has come to London to study
at a private school whilst her parents work in Bristol. However she joins just
as a Jack the Ripper copycat killer begins his invisible rampage- there is no
trace of the murderer and the CCTV doesn’t pick up anyone despite the killings
being in full view of London security. The Police are stumped and Rory is their
only witness, she saw someone, a man her best friend Jazza didn’t see, despite
the fact that he was standing right in front of her. She thinks she’s going crazy, she notices
things others don’t, she sees people who aren’t there. Or are they?
As the murders continue and the evidence points to no one
the disturbing and morbid truth comes to light, and Rory is in the middle of it
all. She holds the key to catching the killer, though could this also get her
and her friends killed as well?
Rory is typical teenager; nervous, friendly, funny, a tiny
bit clumsy, and smitten. Although this book is primarily about The Ripper’s
rampage it is also about growing up and I think this is what makes it so accessible
to YA readers. She deals with all the normal emotions as well as the drama in
the outside world. I think Jerome, Rory’s ‘close’ friend is one of my favourite
characters. For some of the book he is only in the background, but his fascination
with all things Jack the Ripper and his relationship with Rory really keeps him
in the for-front of the readers mind.
Although this books is a horror story it is also a story
about romance and friendship which ultimately has the power to make you laugh
and cry. I would whole heartedly recommend this book to anyone, whatever their
age (but maybe not for young kiddies…). You don’t need to be a teen to appreciate
Johnson’s effortless narration as a teen girl. This is truthfully one of the
best books I have read in ages and right now I am writing this to stop myself
from picking it straight back up and reading it again! Thankfully the sequel The Madness Underneath the second novel
in the Shades of London series will be released January 2013…I will be left to
fangirl until then!
I really hope Rory and Jerome stay together in the next book. I <3 Jerome! =)
ReplyDelete