****
Where She Went
is the equally emotional follow up to If
I Stay, the book in which we are first introduced to Mia and Adam, the
perfect teenage romance. (At this point I suggest if you have not read If I Stay, go away and do so, it is
simply amazing.) So when I saw this book released there was no argument about
buying it, especially with the line ‘If you had a second chance at first
love…would you take it?’ to reel you in and keep you there.
Where She Went
is the equally emotional follow up to If
I Stay, the book in which we are first introduced to Mia and Adam, the
perfect teenage romance. (At this point I suggest if you have not read If I Stay, go away and do so, it is
simply amazing.) So when I saw this book released there was no argument about
buying it, especially with the line ‘If you had a second chance at first
love…would you take it?’ to reel you in and keep you there.
It has been three years since we left Mia and Adam, and life
has drastically changed for both of them. Adam has shot to fame with his band
Shooting Star, and is in New York preparing for the tour of their third album.
Likewise Mia has become a success in the classical music world, graduating from
Julliard early so that she can also tour. However most surprising change of all
is the fact that they are not together. We find that just after she left for
Julliard Mia brutally cut ties with Adam, arguably leaving him in as a critical
state as she had been after the crash.
For this book the reader enters the mind of Adam and sees
the strange and wonderful hours before he leaves for London, and the hand Fate
decides to play. Coincidentally Mia and Adam meet again, which leads to a night
exploring New York City and the lives and minds of the two separated young
lovers. This is the chance for the reader, along with Adam, to have 3 years’
worth of questions answered. But do not expect it to be an easy ride. If you
were fond of Adam after finishing the first book, prepare to be heartbroken. He
has become a stereotypical rock-star: girls, temper, drugs. He is everything he
did not want to be.
Throughout reading the story I felt a resounding feeling of
sorrow for Adam and the way losing Mia has affected him. We are treated to
glimpses of the old Adam we know and love, but it is still not enough, and it
only adds to the frustration I feel towards him. And as a dedicated reader I
feel betrayed as though I had been tricked into liking and respecting him in
the previous book when now he has turned into such a ‘guy’, to use Mia’s words.
Conversely he also strikes me as being a lost little boy, overwhelmed and ready
to be swallowed alive by the enormity of fame and the fact that he has to face
it alone, having seemingly disconnected himself from everyone around him.
Being inside Adam’s head is discomforting to start with,
especially for those familiar with Mia’s narration in ‘’If I Stay’’. He is conflicted by everything he says and does. He
thinks one thing and says another, but furthermore he acknowledges this, and
the demons distracting him. So when Mia shows up it is easy to see her as a
saviour, and in some ways she is.
This is just another cathartic book from Forman with the
power to reduce you to tears before forcing a relieved smile, when your
emotions no longer have control over what just hit them.
No comments:
Post a Comment