Tuesday, 28 August 2012

Before I go to Sleep by SJ Watson


***

Not the best book I’ve read recently, but thankfully I stuck with it, because the ending (despite appearing rushed and accidently inconclusive) was something else!

Before I go to Sleep is written in the style of a journal kept by amnesiac Christine, a 40-something year old trying to piece her forgotten life together. Christine is undergoing new treatment in the hope that she will be able to remember some of the memories of her old life after a near fatal accident (or so she is told) left her only knowing her name and life up to her early twenties at the most. But how can she possibly remember important or even trivial parts of her life, when she can’t even recall yesterday?

What follows is a mixture of confusion, romance, lies, violence and friendship all with extremely sinister undertones. The reader is placed in a position where they think they know most of the facts, well as much as Christine has noted throughout the journal, and then the comfort that both the reader and narrator had only just begun to enjoy, is ripped out from underneath in one violent burning motion!

Throughout the reader is given hints about Christine’s less than angelic past, but it all comes to a head when she starts to remember the affair she had. As the novel progresses Christine’s story becomes more and more disturbing and the ‘big reveal’ will truly send you reeling.

Personally I could not relate to the main character, therefore I guess, I did not enjoy reading it as much as I have other books. I can’t really write too much about this book without fear of spoiling it, so with what little morsels I have given you, make your choice – to read or not to read!

No comments:

Post a Comment